Saturday 26 January 2013

"relapse" The path of conscious nourishment

When we aspire to an ideal, we can hold a vision quite rigidly of what it would look like. I was aspiring raw vegan, but in listening to my body I kept going back to what my body wanted. Many of these cravings satisfy parasitic relationships that are not symbiotic, such as any craving for sugar or wheat. I can tell because when I give in to those cravings and indulge in it, my body after a while feels bogged down.

I aspire, in my path of consciously nourishing my body, to feel elevated by what I eat. I know I don't have to eat as much as I do, and I'd like to mindfully cut out the excess and eat only what I need to feel good and lightly energized, nourished, and restored.

Many of us don't wait to get hungry before eating again. I enjoyed experimenting with Mary Oliver's eating schedule which is to eat something light in the morning and then really work up an appetite for lunch, and then have a small supper before bed and then repeat. I discovered I love being hungry and having a voracious appetite. But then what do I choose to nourish myself with? Well, therein lies the bad and good habits. It is still a process of discovery to truly know what nourishes us, and what we need minimally and what is destructive in its excess.


As I write this I am munching at 7:30pm on a banana mixed in with cinammon, a big handful of raisins, a sprinkle of walnuts, in almond milk/coconut water mixture. Its hitting the spot gooood.

No comments:

Post a Comment